Sunday 19 February 2017

Super Colourful Mediterranean Chicken

Ok, so I really need to get into healthy eating again! Christmas is well over a month ago so I can't keep using that as an excuse.
So I decided to do some batch cooking, of delicious and healthy dinners that I can then just grab and enjoy. 
I'm a big fan of chicken and luckily this is a great meat for protein and is low fat. I also love my veggies, the more colour on my plate, the better!

So after a quick trip to the supermarket I was ready to cook my Super Colourful Mediterranean Chicken.

What you will need:





3 fresh chicken breasts.
1 whole red pepper.
1 whole beef tomato.
Can of sweetcorn.
Pack of Mangetout.
Can of kidney beans.
1 whole red onion.
Salt and pepper.
Chicken stock.
Box of Passata.
2 cans of chopped tomatoes.
Juice of one lemon.
250g Orzo pasta.
Oregano.
1 garlic clove.
Extra virgin olive oil.

You will also need a large oven proof pan with a lid, wooden spoon and knife.

What you need to do to make this delicious dinner:

First preheat the oven at 160C/320F/Gas Mark 3, then you need to dice the chicken breast and put in the pan with a drizzle of olive oil, cook over a low heat. Then pour in the passata and the two cans of chopped tomatoes, stir thoroughly and simmer gently.


In the meantime cook the Orzo pasta until almost tender. I leave it with just a little "bite" as the whole dish needs to go in the oven and the pasta finishes off cooking then.
Add the stock and seasoning, crushed garlic and oregano and mix.


Have you ever tried Orzo? It's a small pasta and it actually resembles rice in the packet, although it does swell a little when cooked. It's great for adding bulk to your dinner too.

Then chop the vegetables. You can use veggies to suit your taste but just remember think variety, think colour!



Now mix in the Orzo, add the generous squeeze of lemon and stir until all the ingredients are combined.Now put the lid on the pan and place in the oven for 30 minutes.



I threw some garlic bread in the oven just before the dish was due to be ready to accompany the meal.

Then serve and enjoy!



This quantity of chicken, veg and rice made 7 ample portions so worked out as great value for money and was so easy to make. It tastes wonderful!

Jaimexx








No comments:

Post a Comment